Welcome to Steven
Hamlin’s Private Practice
of The Feldenkrais Method®, Ortho-Bionomy® and more…
Every Feldenkrais® Practitioner has a practical working philosophy. Here is mine:
• The best solutions are simple.
• There is always a remedy - effective, easy-to-do (no matter how injured you are) and close at hand, in the sense that when you understand it, you will think "of course, that is so obvious, why didn't I think of that earlier?" It is not necessary to travel around the world, trying out this and that. At least, try the obvious first.
• I've learned to trust that most of my best insights in working with people do not come from any intellectual process. It comes as a certainty-of-knowing arising from a process of involvement. I will share these insights with you. This has been facilitated by many years of silent meditation and yoga practice.
My training and experience has equipped me to effectively handle painful - especially chronic - issues.
My own exposure to the Feldenkrais® work was about pain relief, postural correction and healing. So, I have specialized in helping clients with pain, with scoliosis, with neck trouble, knee trouble and other difficulties such as back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, RSI-carpal tunnel, ankle pain, plantar fasciitis, thoracic outlet syndrome, balance issues, post surgical recovery of function, pain reduction, chronic pain, mal-alignment and much more. My work in PT (physical therapy) clinics for some years after my Feldenkrais® Training taught me how to be effective with all kinds of situations - post surgery, chronic pain, shoulder trouble, etc.
In addition to nearly 500 hours training in Ortho-Bionomy® and my Feldenkrais® Training and mentoring, I have studied and implemented many ideas gathered from:
• Oriental medicine, massage and acupressure
• Anatomy and physiology
• Yoga and yoga therapy
• Numerous other types of healing and body work traditions
• Western medicine and Physical Therapy
• Native American Indian Shamanism
• Energy Medicine
• Emotional release work
Whether you come for pain relief or not, The Feldenkrais® work will help you move more easily, concentrate and focus with greater ease, enhance athletic performance, and improve your life in other ways. Such is the testimony of each of my long-term clients.
Moshe Feldenkrais was a creative and intuitive healer; yet he had a solid background of academic and scientific understanding (something of an understatement). I have been most impressed, however, not so much with his intellectual brilliance and precision, but with his courage to speak and act upon whatever insights presented themselves as relevant. This could be very wide-ranging and totally unexpected; yet he always got results, like magic. I promised myself that I would also be like that, to the best of my ability, to speak and act upon truth, especially little intuitive hints, no matter how unexpected, boldly but kindly, not withholding because of any social or other considerations.
That is what you see on this website: everything I might tell a client. Often these ideas and insights came up while I was talking, and I had no idea where it came from, but I knew it had to be true. You’ll find here, in addition to the posture and movement ideas, many alternative healing strategies, dietary perspectives and advice, and also other topics that are, perhaps, only slightly relevant to all this. If we understand The Feldenkrais Method® as anything even remotely related to natural human function and movement then such ideas do have a place on a website like this. That’s the definition I hold close to my heart.
And for all of my Feldenkrais colleagues, I have a special note for you here.